Chanel - Nouvelle Vague

Saturday, June 5, 2010
Chanel Nouvelle Vague Limited Edition Les Pop-Up de Chanel Summer 2010 Turquoise Dupes Orly Gumpdrop

Hello dear readers!

Todays post is about Chanel's Nouvelle Vague from the Chanel Summer 2010 collection: Les Pop Up de Chanel. This limited collection came out a little while ago and while I was on a mad polish hunt with two dear friends we stumbled upon it and we all had to have it.

Nouvelle Vague is a pale turquoise that everyone had high hopes for after the Jade storm that was created with the pretty mint polish. The colour is great - it's a bright and gorgeous shade that definitly stands out. The shimmer in it is barely visible unless you catch the really bright sun on your nail - that's too bad. It isn't unique, there are a couple of almost dupes on this one, but it's definitely an eye catcher.

Now, after I got home from the trip I was really excited to try out this pretty. How disappointed was I! When a polish costs €21,50 (about $25) you are expecting it to be good. It wasn't. Applying this polish was really a pain in the ass. It's draggy, streaky, thick and it gave me uneven layers of polish. It looked like the Alps were forming on my nails!

Was it me? I thought so. I googled and googled, reading every word that was written about Nouvelle Vague. Almost all blogs and sites told me the application "was amazing, like heaven, self-levelling, gives a great coverage after two coats and the best formula they've ever come across". Wait, what?! I am the only one with a craptastic Chanel?! Darn!

Chanel Nouvelle Vague Limited Edition Les Pop-Up de Chanel Summer 2010 Turquoise Dupes Orly Gumpdrop

Nouvelle Vague, three coats with top coat, in daylight

I couldn't believe it. Really, I felt like someone pulled a joke on me. So I started to ask about it to other people - did they experience the same? My two friends did. And then another friend of me had the same issues. And over the time I stumbled upon more and more people that really disliked the formula of Nouvelle Vague. So are we more picky about polish? Or are the praising reviews a little over the top and not telling the truth? I have so many questions but I guess I'll never find out.

If you're looking for a cheap dupe of Nouvelle Vague I highly recommend Orly's Gumdrop. There's no shimmer in it but the colour almost matches perfectly - and Nouvelle Vague's shimmer isn't really showing himself. China Glaze's For Audrey is also a close one.

So, dear reader, what's your thought on Nouvelle Vague?
Have a great saturday!
Michelle

33 comments:

Enamel Girl said...

I don't own it yet so I can't comment on the formula but It's very pretty on you.

jbrobeck said...

i already had FA and gumdrop, so i was bitterly disappointed in NV. i thouht it would have much more shimmer. I sent it off to someone in Canada who would appreciate it!

Crystal Polish said...

I do believe we thinned our bottle of Chanel Novelle Vague to make it a little more manageable. I didn't have streaking or dragging issues with it. I definitely have better quality polish than this one. A little disappointing for Chanel Standards. I actually did a comparison on my blog today about this with For Audrey and Diamond Cosmetics Oh, Tiff!

http://www.crystalpolish.com/2010/06/saturday-shakedown-chanel-nouvelle.html

Clau's said...

I love the color =) is so cute
But chanel is very expensive :S for me

xoxo**

Jen said...

I'm glad to hear reports of poor application, it makes me feel better I didn't get it (I got For Audrey instead). XD Sorry!

Jo said...

Aww, darn. Too bad the formula isn't great because I really like the colour : (

Sara.H said...

I sooooooo love the color... this is exactly the color i am looking for these days :)

Gwen Wijman said...

I LOVE the colour. But I don't want to pay over 20 euros for nail polish. Too bad the formula sucks.

wwww said...

I love the colour, sucks that it's so bad.. Got a Chanel nailpolish from my brother a while ago (diabolic - dark brown) and than one's way too sticky and way too thick, and it never gets dry. Still need to buy some thinner I guess... but seriously for that money it should be amazing.

Eva! said...

zoooo mooi!

Squared Nails said...

Thank you for writing this!!! I wrote a negative review on this polish as well, and so did Lacquerized, and I'm surprised that this has gotten reviews of a good application. It applies HORRIBLY! Are people praising it because it's Chanel? It's horribly goopy and three coats.

Love your nails, they are pretty!

Michelle said...

Thanks! I'm curious of how you feel about it once you've tried :)

Michelle said...

Yeah, I also owned those two and they are definitely almost the same. The shimmer doesn't stand out like I would want to so that's kind of mehhhh! Sweet of you to send it to someone :)

Michelle said...

I've read the review and Oh, Tiff! is also a nice one, comes close. I also need to thin mine, it's really awful, never expected it to be this bad!

Michelle said...

Thanks! And I agree, Chanel is expensive and polish wise not the best so I'd buy the dupes instead of paying for the brand and lower quality. :)

Michelle said...

Hahaha, I understand! For Audrey is also very pretty!

Michelle said...

Yeah it's too bad but luckily there are dupes! :D

Michelle said...

It is a pretty colour! :)

Michelle said...

If something really stares me into my eyes and I'm loving it I'm willing to pay 20 euro for it, but only if it is really special, I'm not paying for sucky quality haha!

Michelle said...

I'm very curious about Diabolic, really want to see that one! And I agree - for the money it better be some darn good stuff.

Michelle said...

Dankjewel!

Michelle said...

Your review was good, I thought the same about this one. I don't know why this is getting all the praises cause it doesn't deserve it. Well, I don't think mine deserves it haha! And thanks, that's sweet :)

lilynail said...

i like you i think this polish is horrible at the application !! i 'm disapointed with this polish 20€ :(

wwww said...

I still have a picture from when I just had it, I'll try to upload and post that here in the comment, it's a bit darker in daylight. Yes exactly! I'm so much happier with my Bourjois one which is the same colour but so much cheaper (I head once that Bourjois and Chanel are the same brand? i don't know about that though), even the Essence one I had (€1,29) had a better application.

Michelle said...

It's pretty but not that special - especially when there's a Bourjois already! Don't know if they're the same, might have to look that up once.

Michelle said...

I'm also disappointed, too bad..

Nikki said...

It's pretty but bad application sucks! for that money it should apply itself. I have read that Diamond Oh Tiff is a near on dupe too??

Michelle said...

Crystal Polish has a comparison between those two, in my stash Orly Gumdrop comes closest!

Janelle said...

Wauw! Echt heel mooi!

Michelle said...

Bedankt!

Anonymous said...

Honestly . . . For me this polish did apply like a dream. 2 great coats and none of the issues you all have had. Weird! I have For Audrey and Gumdrop and I usually go with Nouvelle Vague because it applies better than the other two- they are way to thick!

Michelle said...

Hi anonymous,

It's possible my polish just sucked and yours doesn't. However, I've stumbled across lots of people that had the same issue so therefore I think it's because of the quality of the polish and not me. Glad that yours does apply like a dream - I wish mine did.

Anonymous said...

i just bought a nail polish from chanel, the xmas edition. was so excited to try it on but very disappointed like you. the nail polish is way too thick which makes it extremely difficult to apply on the nail in one go to create a smooth and even surface. i am actually googling how to make it thinner so easier to apply. and most of all, for that money why would i buy it again if i can get something better for lower price

Post a Comment

© The Lacquer Files | Disclaimer | Want to use my content? Email me first!

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.